April 5, 2011

My name is ___________ and I am Insecure.

Moses is so insecure. Why? Is it due to his upbringing (rejection)? His failures (discouragement)? His disability (depression)? Whatever it is, even after God appeared to Moses, peformed miracles, and gave Moses God's special Name, Moses still tried to back out of what God called him to do.

God knew the sepcific insecuriteis that plaqued Moses (Ex 2:25). He claims to have even created Moses with these handicaps...and yet the I AM still wanted Moses on his team - in full surrender and reliance.

Moses's first encounter with Pharoah didn't go all that well. Ironically, God calls an insecure man to a risky mission and the first task makes matters worse, not better. In fact, after having a near revival (Ex 4:31), the people turn spiteful toward Moses and angry towards the Lord.

Come again?

Moses questioned God, almost rebuking Him for not coming through (Ex 5:22-23).

But I love God's rsponse: "Now you shall see what I will do..." (Ex 6:1). It is almost as if matters had to get as worse as they could so God could show Himself off big time. I mean, Phaorah doesn't belive in Him, His own people don't remember Him, and His leaders don't trust Him. God has to turn the tide...and turn it He will.

Again, God gives Moses a new and intimagte Name by which to call Him (Ex 6:3). He reviews the covenant He made 400 years before, and He chargs Moses and Aaron to continue leading (Ex 6:13). God was about to move...and they had no idea what was about to hit them...

Moses is the only Bible character with whom God claims to have spoken face to face.

Insecurity breeds intimacy - God creates insecurity because He longs for intimacy with me! I am learning to embrace my insecurities, so I will lean hard into the promises and power of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment