April 20, 2011

Judgment

I stood before the Judge and plead my case -
I really didn’t have a substantial excuse.
I just didn’t want to live with my past mistakes -
But as I looked into His eyes, His blank stare left me confused.

The Prosecuting Attorney, The Adversary, he was named -
Shot me a smug grin as he approached the bench.
His rebuttals discredited everything I claimed –
It was at that moment that I grasped I was in his clutch.

Desperate, I tried to scream above his hateful accusations.
“I am sorry Judge, I know what I deserve –
I understand I am not good enough for Salvation…
But please, let me be good enough to recompense serve.”

“Ha!” The Adversary exclaimed –
“This woman is insane to make such a request.”
Then he stared me in the eye and growled the following proclamation:
“She deserves nothing less than a life sentence!”
I shamefully hung my head in hopeless submission.
               
                He was right.

But then the Courthouse door flew open.
The Adversary gawked at the One who approached.
This One was not supposed to be alive, and His scars were His token
Of an attempted death penalty revoked.

You see, the Adversary knew that if this Man were killed,
The Adversary would always have the victory over violators like me.
He never considered a resurrection possible-
Until he saw the Advocate standing proudly next to me.

“I paid her life sentence when I died 2000 years ago.
Her penance is paid in full, therefore –
The accusations are null and void,
And the guilt and shame are no longer hers to bear.”

“If You, Judge, decide to make her pay,
Then You will be a violator of the Law -
Whose demands cease when penance is made,
Which is what I did when I died on the cross.”

The Adversary threw up his hands and yelled,
“Dead! Dead! This sinner shouldn’t get a second chance!”
But the Advocate shot him a look that could send him straight to Hell,
“I am alive and I have chosen her and not a consequence.”

The Adversary charged the Advocate
But the Judge ordered the Adversary removed.
You see, the Judge administers justice,
And the scars on the Advocate were justice proved.

I turned my tear stained face toward my Advocate Redeemer,
He looked at me with eyes full of love and grace,
The Judge slammed down the gavel,
And declared me innocent because of the One Who stood in my place.

No comments:

Post a Comment