April 26, 2011

Honk, I'm 80!

So, I wanted to add a "Part 2" to the "Loving Jesus, Hating Self" blog from yesterday. This morning, I was taking myself and my circumstances way too seriously. I was really struggling and battling with some things and "trying" to give them over to the Lord in prayer (however, that looked more like me running through the grocery list of everything that is wrong and not focusing on Who God is). I went outside to get into my car to drive to work, and low and behold, I am the object of either a miscommunication or a practical joke. Either way, as I was driving to school hoping no one would honk and/or I wouldn't end up at a red light next to a student, I realized God was teaching me something. I can't take myself too seriously. I need to enjoy life and laugh. I need to relax. He is in control of all of my circumstances, even this one. He wants me to rest in His defense and sovereignty. His love casts out all fear (Psalm 84, 141, 1 John 4).

How does this relate to yesterday's blog? Well, if we are not comfortable with who we are, we live in fear. Fear that we aren't good enough; fear that we will be found out; fear that someone will reject us and confirm what we already think we know about ourselves. Fear that God isn't going to take care of us; fear that somehow we are in control of our lives and everything that happens is up to us (that is where I was this morning). Fear.

And 1 Peter 3:6 states emphatically: "Do not give way to fear."

How is that possible? How is it possible to not fear and to be comfortable in my own skin and to love who I am? (This is why this blog should have come before yesterday's blog. Oh well.)

Simple. Remember this line: 
"God values you as much as He values Jesus. You are a part of the family of God." Yeah, that's how. You realize that ultimately God determines how much you are worth. He determines your value. And 2000 years ago, He said you were worth Deity: His Son. You have as much worth, value, acceptance as Jesus Christ does with God. You have His righteousness. You have his record: Past, present, future. You have his perfection. You are Jesus in God's eyes. Galatians 2:20 says, "It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me." In other words, does Jesus have self-esteem issues? Um, no. So, because He is in you and you have His value and worth, neither should you. Easier said than done. Just start dwelling on these truths. Would you ever knock Jesus and think poorly of Him and His personality? No. He is in you. You have His mind (Phil 2). Does Jesus have to prove Himself to God and to others? No. You have His Spirit. You are His. He is yours...He is your Defender. He will not leave you defenseless (Psalm 141:8).

Rest in Him and relax with you. You are His.

No comments:

Post a Comment