March 22, 2011

Two Years Ago at a Starbucks...

The Starbucks where we met :)

In 2008, I was completing my student teaching in Pennsylvania for Baptist Bible College (BBC). I had mailed about 20-30 resumes to various schools in the Northeastern PA area in order to find a job. I was dating a guy who I thought I was going to marry, and he had a year of school left at BBC, so I thought this was the only logical conclusion. I would work, he would finish school, we would get married. However, God had different plans. In April, three weeks before I was to graduate, three weeks before I was to fly down to Florida with him for a two week vacation, three weeks before the rest of my life, I called it off. It was one of the hardest, most emotional decisions I have ever made. I ended the relationship on a Friday...by Monday, I was standing in front of my freshmen and sophomores explaining that I may need them to go easy on me for a couple of days. By Thursday, I was on the phone with my dad trying to figure out my next move. Do I stay in PA and take a job offer right outside of Philly? He suggested I apply to Lakeland Christian School, a College Preparatory private school in Florida where I grew up. I had a few reasons why I figured this would never work:

1. My ex-boyfriend was from Florida.
2. LCS was very picky...they would never hire a first year teacher.
3. Usually schools were never looking for English teachers.

So what did I do? Well, at that point I had nothing to lose, so I looked up LCS's employment needs. I stared at the computer in disbelief as I read "High School English Teacher". I emailed the principal and explained who I was, that I was formerly a student (my family had lived in Lakeland for 12 years) and that I would love to apply for the English position even though I knew that they were probably looking for a more experienced teacher.

A day later I received a phone call. I was to apply. OH MY GOSH!!!

Let me run through the timeline of events for you again...middle of April: no more relationship; a few days later: apply for dream job; middle of May: offered job; August: move to Florida.

As you can imagine, I was emotionally fragile but incredibly excited to be starting this new adventure. I started teaching and loved my job. A few months later, I met up with one of my friends who told me he had met "this guy" who I would be perfect with. Obviously, I was skeptical. I told him, "That's great, but what do you want me to do about it?"

That was December. On March 18th, I found out that "this guy", Bryant Golden, had my number and was going to give me a call. What did I do? I freaked out. What do I do when I freak out? I went shopping.

Thursday, March 19th
A few of my girlfriends and I went to a small group study in Tampa. After the study I realized I had a voicemail. I listened to it...and it was Bryant. WHAT??? I started screaming...and asked what I should do. The reply was unanimous: "Don't call him back. Let him do it."

Friday, March 20th
I start a three hour trip to Jacksonville to attend an all night girls event my mom is speaking at. At 9pm, I receive a phone call...from Bryant. The problem is, I am in a session. I stare at the phone in disbelief. Really? I can't answer again?

A few hours later, I leave him a voicemail. Now it is beginning to get funny.

Saturday, March 21st
My mom and I and a few friends are staying in a condo on the beach. We walk outside to see the sunset. I leave my phone on my bed. I come in...voicemail. Bryant. Awesome.

That night, I texted him, apologizing for constantly missing his phone calls. He apologizes for coming across as a stalker. I am secretly flattered and intriqued. We decied to meet up at a Starbucks the next day at 7pm.

Sunday, March 22nd
I drive the three hour treck home. I find my roommate, freak out (again, notice the trend), try to take a quick nap, and then pick out the cutest outfit. I jump in my car, blast my pump-up music, and head over to Starbucks. The entire time I am thinking, "What are you doing? You have never met him before...you have only seen a small picture of him...are you really about to drink coffee with a complete stranger?" Heck yes I am!!!

As I pulled into a parking space, my heart starting pounding in my chest. Oh man. Last chance to get out of there. I took a deep breath...put my shoulders back, faked the confidence...and walked through the door.

"Are you Bryant Golden?"

"I am...Nicole?"

"You got it. Nice to meet you."

And the rest is history :)

1 comment:

  1. I've heard it all before and I love it every time! You guys are awesome <3

    ReplyDelete