March 9, 2011

Is God Fair?

The following in bold is taken from Chuck Swindoll:
Remember those words from Isaiah's pen as he repeats God's message?

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD
.
"For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways
And My thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)


Look carefully at the contrasts. There is a vast difference between "My thoughts" and "your thoughts" says the Lord. "My ways" are not like "your ways." They are higher; they are far more profound, deep, mysterious---and I would add, surprising.


Our human ways are based on what seems fair. We firmly believe that when someone does what is right, rewards and blessings result. When someone does what is wrong, there are serious consequences, even punishment. But that's our way, not necessarily God's way. At least not immediately. He's been known to allow unfair treatment to occur in the lives of absolutely innocent folks---for reasons far more profound and deep than they or we could have imagined.


Bryant said on Sunday that fairness is not a Biblical principle...and why not? :) Well, if it were, Jesus would not have been mistreated and crucified for my sin (Isaiah 53:3,7), I would not have Salvation as a result (Isaiah 53:5), nor would I be able to learn to be like Jesus (1 Peter 2:21-25). I guess I need to learn that I don't want "life" or God to be fair...I just want grace and mercy. His thoughts and ways are higher, deeper, better, safer than mine. The pity parties end here.

1 comment:

  1. His comment about fairness not being Biblical struck a cord with me as well. I had never thought about that but it makes so much sense and makes me feel better about all of the things I have deemed unfair in my life. Eye opening words.

    ReplyDelete