March 4, 2011

Get 'er done!

Okay, so if you have a pit in your stomach because of the previous post on forgiveness (a.k.a. the conviction of the Holy Spirit), then read the following steps on how to forgive. This is tough stuff...but sooooo crucial to a free and peaceful life. Please know, I am wrestling through this stuff (let's be honest, this crap) with you. It sucks. But, we have to get our hands dirty and "Get 'er done!"

1. "Focus fully on God's forgiveness of you (Psalm 103; Psalm 116)."

"The extent to which you can envision God's forgiveness of you, to that same measure you will be given the capacity to forgive others." If am spending all of my energy praising God and basking in the freedom of His forgiveness and grace, I am not going to have any time and emotion left over to be bitter.

2. "Deal directly and honestly with any resentment you currently hold against anyone." Oh no.

"Maybe you are willing to go just so far. You will bargain with God and agree to forgive but not forget." Can I hear an "Amen"?! This is where I live my life. Why can't this be good enough? Because...

"That is one of the most regrettable mistakes a Christian can make. Limited forgiveness is like conditional love - a poor substitute for the genuine item. It's no forgiveness at all." Chuck went there. And, I have to meditate on Psalm 103, "As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our trangressions from us." God takes my sin from me...I am not defined by it. Hebrews 10:22 says He even cleans my conscience and my memories of my sin. I don't have to even think about it. How can I not do this for someone else???

"If forgiveness is the process God takes us through to heal inner wounds...then forgetting would be the removal of the ugly scar. And God can even do that."

All of the above quotations were taken from either Chuck Swindoll or the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment