May 13, 2011

The Secret to Weight Loss

Alright, so I am frequently asked how I managed to lose 30 pounds in just a couple of months. Before I can even answer, people are ready to give me their assumptions:

1.      I don’t eat.
2.      I joined a gym and work out for hours.
3.      I am doing the “Body by Vi” shakes.
4.      Weight Watchers.
5.      All of the other absurd ways you can lose weight.

(I’m sorry, my sarcasm bleeds even into a blog on diet and exercise…I just can’t help myself).

I have stumbled upon the secret to diet and exercise. I want to share it with you so that we can actually make some progress with this great mystery that seems to be eluding everyone, including me for so many years. I can answer the “How do I lose weight quickly and healthily?” with one word. Are you ready for this? Drum roll please.

DISCIPLINE.

Yeah, I said it. Get over it.

Listen, if you want to lose weight, there is no other way around it (get the pun? Haha…sorry) then through sheer will power. You have to make the commitment to exercise and to eat right. Bottom line. If you are willing to make that commitment, the hardest part is over, I promise. I will give you a couple of guidelines for losing weight, but you have to make the decision to change your lifestyle, because losing weight and getting healthy are lifestyle choices.

1.   Calculate your BMR. Find my blog on “My New Best Friend”. I give you the formula in there. This calculation allows you to figure out how many calories you can eat to maintain your current weight. If you want to lose some pounds, you have to eat about 500 less calories. What does this mean? Well, for me it meant printing out a blank calendar and literally keeping track of everything I ate. It meant that when we went out to eat (which is often mind you), I looked up the menu on my Smart Phone and found the calorie count for each meal. This process is tedious at first, but soon you memorize how many calories are in certain foods and you just know what to eat when and where. After you have lost quite a bit of weight, you need to recalculate your BMR.

2.   Find an exercise program that is not time consuming and that will push you. We are all busy. We do not have time or money to spend at the gym (well, some of us don’t). And let’s be honest…a gym is fun at first. You get cool work out outfits, a new gym bag, and enjoy being a part of the elite for about a week. Then, the dressing up to work out and the drive and the embarrassment from not knowing the names of the weights and the exercises get a little much. So, you stop going.

I tried to do P90x for a couple of weeks. I don’t have time to devote an hour to an hour and a half to a crazy man who expects me to do an hour of pull ups and pushups. No thank you. Can’t physically do it. The time consumption and lack of ability discouraged me. For those of you who pushed through, props to you.

I am a diehard Jillian Michaels fan. Why? She knows her stuff (Biggest Loser trainer). She has made several DVD workouts that are about 20 minutes and that get results (I am your proof). She will kick your butt, but she will get you in the best shape of your life if you stick with it.

3.   Here is the clincher: I worked out with Jillian for about two months, without changing my eating patterns. I didn’t lose any weight. In January, I decided to try counting my calories. I made healthier decisions on what I ate. And guess what? The pounds came melting off. Do I eat only fruits and veggies? No way! Who could ever do that? Here is a simple meal plan…

Meal Plan:

Eat about 100-150 calories for breakfast:
-          Cereal and skim milk.
-          Fat free cottage cheese and fruit.
-          Low calorie bread for toast (I buy bread with 40 calories per slice).
-          Low sugar oatmeal.

Eat about 50-75 calories for lunch:
-          Lettuce (15 calories) and zero calorie salad dressing (yes, some does exist and it tastes good!!!).
-          Fruit.

Spend the rest of your calories (700-900) on dinner:
-          Chicken, turkey, flank steak are great choices for meat.
-          Google some low-fat recipes.
-          If you are married and/or have a family, make regular meals, just be mindful of the calories and ways that you can cut corners or just cut corners for yourself. For instance, you can load up on the veggies and taker smaller helpings of everything else. Or, have a piece of fruit before dinner so you aren’t as hungry.

Snacks:
-          Sugar free pudding has about 70 calories.
-          Pickles are virtually calorie free.
-          Granola bars have about 100 calories.

Black coffee and diet soda are also okay to drink. Don’t cut out everything you love or you will go mad. I chew gum constantly to keep something tasty in my mouth. Get creative!!!

Just constantly be counting. Work out. Be disciplined. As Jillian Michaels says, “This is not just about exercise. This is about your entire life and you know that.” Yes, if you build discipline in this area, it will affect every other area of your life. I dare you to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment