February 18, 2011

My New Best Friend

LOVE THIS WORKOUT!!!

I am probably in the best shape I have ever been in...thanks to Jillian Michaels. She is my new best friend! 

My mom called me and told me about Jillian Michaels's 30 Day Shred. I was not a believer until I began the program. The DVD includes three twenty minute workouts that are each composed of strength training, cardio workouts, and ab exercises. All you need are some weights (I started out with two pounds and then upgraded to five pounds) and a few minutes a day. After attempting P90X and getting so frustrated because I did not have the strength or the time, Jillian Michaels has helped me overcome the misbelief that I will never be fit. I love her!

One quick tip...you will gain muscle but not lose weight if you do not watch what you eat. I never thought counting calories was necessary until I started calculating how much I ate a day and saw the pounds melt away. Below is the calculation method to determine how many calories you need to eat a day to maintain. If you want to lose weight, exercise 20-40 minutes a day and eat less calories than your daily maintenance. You will be developing a lifestyle more than just attempting another diet. I am thrilled about how much weight I have lost and how healthy I feel! I am in great shape as well...even beat my husband at basketball the other day!!!

The following information came from another source:
"Calculate Your BMR:
Your BMR is the amount of energy your body needs to function. We use about 60% of the calories we consume each day for basic bodily functions such as breathing. Other factors that influence your BMR are height, weight, age and sex. Step one is to calculate your BMR with the following formula:
Women:
655 + (4.3 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)
Men:
66 + (6.3 x weight in pounds) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)
Please note that this formula applies only to adults.
Calculate Activity
Step two: In order to incorporate activity into your daily caloric needs, do the following calculation:
·         If you are sedentary : BMR x 20 percent
·         If you are lightly active: BMR x 30 percent
·         If you are moderately active (You exercise most days a week.): BMR x 40 percent
·         If you are very active (You exercise intensely on a daily basis or for prolonged periods.): BMR x 50 percent
·         If you are extra active (You do hard labor or are in athletic training.): BMR x 60 percent
Add this number to your BMR. The result of this formula will be the number of calories you can eat every day and maintain your current weight. In order to lose weight, you'll need to take in fewer calories than this result. As you lose weight, you can re-calculate the formula to assess your new BMR."
The DVD is available at Walmart and Target. I purchased mine for $10. Go get it done ladies!!! And have a blast :)

1 comment:

  1. I remember making Natalie do it with me when she came down for your wedding! She thought I was crazy saying it was a "good workout"...until she tried it! haha. I love my dvd too!

    ReplyDelete