February 22, 2011

The Diffuser


I was so overwhelmed with God’s grace on Sunday. My husband Bryant based his talk out of John 11 and the death of Lazarus. His premise was that those pivotal circumstances in our lives that often cause the most pain are what bring God the most glory. God so desires to “grow our faith in the One Who is over, in, above, and through all things” that He “leverages the worst for our best.” 

Take a look at verses 4, 15, 25-26, 40-42 for proof. Mary and Martha were desperately hurting. The disciples were so confused. If Jesus loved Lazarus, why did He wait? “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.” Because it was only in this desperate situation that Mary, Martha, the disciples and the onlookers could really experience God’s incredible glory and His powerful Name: I AM (11:25-26). “God created this circumstance in order to shout that He is the ‘I AM’ in the midst of pain.”

My CC (Centerpoint Church) ladies and I have been studying through John and Stasi Eldredge’s book Captivating. We have been discovering the lies that Satan has held us captive to, many of us since we were young. These lies have so deceived us into believing that we just have to accept who we are and what we have done, without ever experiencing the healing grace of God in our lives. We profoundly mistrust God…however, at times, we don’t even realize we are doing it. We try to control the world around us because we are self-medicating and self-protecting. We have our reasons and our logical arguments for this selfish lifestyle, just like Eve in Genesis 3, which blind us from the truth that God wants us to live abundantly by fully trusting Him with every detail of our lives...even the pain (Ephesians 3:20, John 10:10).

As Bryant brought his talk to an end Sunday and asked for a response, I watched (yes, I am allowed to peak J) men and women raise their hands committing that they would trust God to define their pain instead of their pain defining them. I sat in utter amazement as my brothers and sisters in Christ who have experienced such deep hurt, disappointment, resentment, and regret confidently raise their hands in surrender and trust, releasing control of their lives to God for His glory. All of my petty excuses and bitterness were diffused in that moment.

God, Your grace is beyond words. Thank you for penetrating our hurt, our failures, our bitterness, our disappointment, our loss with your healing love, forgiveness, mercy, grace. We love you and stand amazed.   

(Go to www.centerpointfl.org to hear Bryant’s podcast: Sun Stand Sill 7, and check out his blog: http://bryantgolden.blogspot.com).

The above quotations came from my man J. I am a proud wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment