February 4, 2014

Carpe Diem

Bryant is doing a series right now entitled Carpe Diem...and it has been awesome!!! His talk yesterday was on Sabbath rest. And I just thought I would take a few minutes to share some practical things we do as a family to practice Sabbath rest.

Disclaimer: I am not tooting my own horn here. Nor are we perfect at this all of the time. It takes practice. Compromise. Tweaking. It depends on the season of life you are in. Soul searching. And prayer. So before you keep reading this, hit the link above and listen to Part 3. Then come on back :)

1. A few months ago, Bryant and I both removed the Facebook app from our phones. And wow. The difference that has made. We still keep Twitter and Instagram on our phones because honestly, they don't stress us out as much. You have to know yourself. And speaking for myself here, I know that I am much too nosy and too easily carry other people's burdens that access to Facebook 24/7 just doesn't work for me. I also have a hard time turning off my brain at night and Facebook is another form of email for me. So it was consuming my life. We have seriously noticed a difference in our own peaceful existences since we removed Facebook.

2. We say no. A lot. We are a family of three with one on the way. And we determined before we ever started having children that our marriage and our kids would be our two greatest investments into Eternity. Consequently, the only evening meeting either Bryant or I have is our staff meeting Monday night. Other than that, Bryant is home every evening by dinner time. We also made the commitment that I would be a stay-at-home mom. So, we have learned to live on less. And it works! Bryant keeps a tight budget where we give, save, and live off of the rest and I am so appreciative (and yes, believe it or not, a budget does contribute to Sabbath rest)!!! And finally, since I became the Children's Ministry Director at Centerpoint, I have designated two Sabbath days for myself: Friday with Bryant and Brooke and Monday with Brooke. And, I don't feel guilty about it. I work my butt off from Tuesday to Thursday cleaning, doing laundry, taking care of Brooke, working from home on the ministry, cooking, taking care of Bryant, and so on. And I work. Hard. So on Monday, I lay on the couch and read and/or write every time Brooke is taking a nap and usually don't change out of my pjs until 3pm. I put no pressure on myself to get anything done. On Friday, Bryant, Brooke and I spend the whole day together with no responsibilities.

Bryant decided a few months ago to start taking Friday off. He feels much more alive and relaxed come Friday than he did taking Monday off. So Friday we just hang. I turn my phone off. Bryant puts his on silent and keeps it in the bedroom the majority of the day. We don't get on Facebook or really any social media. And it is awesome! I am going to tell you, for us, taking a Sabbath day off is sometimes hard work and a major trust issue. But we know that God mandated this and we have so experienced the benefits of it that we make Sabbath rest an HUGE priority. Our family, church, and personal lives benefit and are the proof of what God does when we follow in obedience to this command. It is a chance for us to declare our dependence on God and to remind ourselves that He is ultimately in charge and responsible for whatever He has called us to. It is our way to surrender.

Bryant and I do make time for friends, but we probably wouldn't be considered social butterflies. We realize this season with Brooke and baby on the way is one of the most crucial and so our social lives are mainly consumed with our family, our community group, and a few close friends. That hasn't always been the most popular decision, but it has paid off for our marriage and our little family.

We also try to have regular date nights. And if we don't get out, we spend every evening together just relaxing after Brooke goes to bed. It is delightful!!! I am working on turning my phone off after 6:30pm and leaving it off. Bryant is much better at that than me.

3. We make time to get spiritually refreshed. We both spend time reading and try to keep each other accountable with that. We also love attending conferences together and sharing podcasts. Yes, we are nerds. But we also realize the importance of staying above the waters spiritually. And so we make that a priority. For me personally, that means that I have to cut back on the amount of time I exercise now that my time is limited with a little one. That was hard at first, but my investment into my spiritual life is way more vital than my investment into my physical life. I still make time to exercise, but my physical muscles may not be as cut as my spiritual muscles, and that's the way it should be. Bryant is a master at this. I always see him reading the Word, listening to worship music, getting fed on podcasts or books, and constant in prayer. He has such an intimate relationship with Jesus, it's inspiring.

4. We limit our schedules. I am a wife and a mom. Whatever time I have left, I schedule wisely remembering my best has to go to my family. So, I have openings for about two meetings/get-togethers a week and sometimes I don't even do two. Right now I serve as Children's Ministry Director, which is a pretty big job. So, that is where most of my excess time and energy goes. That's it. I have said no to other engagements, outings, and hobbies. It's not always easy, but I know it's best. And I know it's just a season (for more on this, see Just Say No). I remember that Brooke is my greatest contribution to Eternity. I realize that by caring for my husband and making home a safe place, I energize him to reach others with the Gospel. And that is enough for me.

Bryant has already scheduled time off for this year. He does this in advance so it happens on purpose and doesn't get overlooked. He also makes sure he communicates with his assistants his openings for the week. He doesn't counsel everyone (notice I didn't say anyone). He doesn't answer every phone call, text and email he gets at night after he gets home. In fact, he doesn't even get work emails to his phone. He guards his days off. And that is why he is such a good husband, father, and Pastor. He is not a frazzled, drained mess. He is rested both physically and spiritually so he can care for the family and Church God has entrusted him with. And I know a couple hundred people who are extremely grateful. Something he does do that I just think is awesome is after he preaches on Sunday, he hangs in the worship center so he can meet and talk with people. He also sits in the back during worship before he preaches. I have seen so many grown men walk past him and give him the biggest bear hug ever. We also have a swing and some toys in his office so before and after service, he gets time with Brooke.

So, those are just a few things. I could add more to the list: Like we both have certain routines at night to help us unplug and unwind, we make everyday errands an adventure, and we constantly try to stay thankful. But the biggest thing I think you need to come away with is this is a lifestyle that will enable you to worship God more consistently and effectively. By saying yes to the right things and no to the excess things, you are actually going to further your influence. So take some time to figure out what the big rocks in your life are. And minimize the smaller rocks (if you are confused by "rocks", listen to the podcast). If you are a parent, remember your kids are watching. Their lives are being shaped by the decisions you are making. That's sobering.

Remember, Sabbath Rest is a trust issue. Are you brave enough to do something about it?

2 comments:

  1. So, I am reading this as my phone is next to me flashing from FB notifications and beeping from email notifications! Thank you for your honesty and vulnerability and for sharing your ideas and suggestions. You are truly an inspiration. :) Love you! Liz (Byrd)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Liz!!! So thankful for your friendship. Looking forward to a "date" soon :) Praying for you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete